Search Engine Optimization (SEO), also known as search engine marketing (SEM), is an internet marketing technique that makes websites more visible to users searching for specific information on the internet. It is done by enhancing the volume and quality of site visitors. There are many tools and techniques available in the market to help webmasters optimize their websites and increase their chances of reaching top-ranking positions in search engine results. Here are some of the most effective SEO strategies for better page performance:
– Keyword research. When you create content, you must know what people are searching for. This way you can make your content useful to searchers. Keyword research tools such as Google’s free Google Content Network or Overture’s Content Crete research tool can help you understand keyword behavior. You can make your site better by knowing your audience, their queries, search patterns and much more with this type of Google analytic tools.
– Avoid broken links. One of the biggest mistakes website owners make is linking to webpages with broken links. Many webmasters believe that having one link for a new content type on a page improves crawl and ranking performance. However, it actually defeats the purpose of search engines if they see that many sites are linking to the same exact page. To avoid Google penalties, link to broken and non-relevant pages.
– Improve usability. User experience and search engine optimization go hand in hand. A user experience that is both pleasant and easy to use is what she wants. If a user has to scroll down a page to find something, she is unlikely to continue using the website. It’s important to provide plenty of clear information and understandable buttons so that users don’t have to work too hard to find what they need.
– Watch for HTTP response codes. Each time a page is downloaded, the downloaded page’s Crawl Interval increases. This Crawl Score tells search engines how often a particular web page is crawled. An increase in crawl interval means that a site is being indexed more frequently by Google’s search engine.
– Avoid delays. Crawl delays could cause users to leave your web pages before fully enjoying them. Search engines will not rank sites highly in the same way if they don’t have user experience issues such as long delays or erroneous navigation. So don’t put any site on pause just before a major update.
– Internal links from external sites. Internal links are a major SEO nightmare. While they make your site look good internally, they also make it very difficult for search engines to know what your site is about. If you have an internal link from another website (which should be obvious), search engines will usually not rank that site as highly as it would have been otherwise.
– Internal Urls. The problem with internal Urls is that very few people use them. Therefore, even though internal Urls can give your website a boost in the search results, chances are they won’t be noticed by many users. To discourage overuse of these internal Urls, website owners can include a disclaimer at the bottom of every page with detailed instructions about why users should not use them. Also make sure to avoid using keywords and keyword phrases on the website pages themselves, as search engines will likely not rank those pages very high.
– Google Analytics. Google’s official analytics software package includes a console for web developers to view visitor activity. In addition to the Google Analytics account sign-up page, this console allows website owners to see which keywords are being used to promote their site. While this service can provide useful information, website owners need to keep in mind that Google’s Google Analytics does not include tracking of any other external factors, such as the use of anchor text links, descriptive meta tags, or other types of “spider” code. If you want to learn more about how you can optimize your website so that you can receive the most benefit from SEO efforts, read the resource box below.
– Directory Structure. While Google ranks a website according to its own internal SEO algorithm, it also considers each page in the website’s directory structure. If your directory structure contains internal rule, avoid using them in your site’s URL.
– Use Webmaster’s Tools. Google includes a small tool called Webmaster Tools in its Android platform. Webmasters can use this tool to find out which directories are crawling slowly, and where they’re being updated for the most. Google also publishes daily search engines statistics that can show you how many crawls your site receives and how you fare in comparison to competitors.